You may think that millions of people do it, that there can be no harm in just jumping in the car and going home, after a few drinks. But you would be wrong because alcohol can affect not only one’s judgment but depth perception and also vital skills.
When you put the keys in the ignition and start driving after drinking, you are not only risking your own life, but you are risking the lives of others as well. Of course, no one can put a price over the value of a person’s life, still, the risk you’re putting yourself and others when driving under the influence of alcohol will always be a huge one. Not to mention that the minimum penalty for the first time DUI (drinking under the influence) conviction in California can be quite tough:
- Approximately $1,800 in fines
- 48h in jail
- 3 months restricted license plus the obligation to attend a certified alcohol treatment program
- Driving privileges suspended
- Possible vehicle impound
- 3 to 5 years probation period with alcohol/drug testing
Other financial effects can include: an increased insurance cost, having a criminal record, days missed at work in order to attend mandatory alcohol treatment programs or court appearances. So it’s not difficult to imagine how one bad choice can cost you somewhere around $10,000. One other important aspect to have in mind is that the amount of drinking actually makes no difference. Whether you’re a bit over or well over the limit, the consequences will be just the same in the eyes of the law.
These are all of the reasons why we joined the ‘Don’t drink and drive’ campaign and why we encourage our clients to help us raise awareness over this issue by posting on their social media the importance of staying safe, by not driving under the influence of alcohol. Also, we are providing you with a useful tool that will show the effects for different blood alcohol content levels and we offer a few tips that you can rely on in order to avoid DUI, as well:
- Drink zero alcohol beers when going to a party
- Make sure you always have some taxi number in your phone
- Hand over your car keys to a friend who stays on soft drinks all night
As expected, we are not alone in this – others have also embraced the ‘Don’t drink and drive’ initiative, important names such as:
- Ad Council has a very strong position over drunk driving prevention. Since they launched ‘Friends don’t let friends drive drunk’ campaign in 1983, more than 68% of Americans stated that they have tried to keep their friends from driving after having a few drinks. Aall In Limo & Party Bus supports Adcouncil in the struggle for raising awareness over the dangers of DUI.
- Don’t be that someone’s award-winning anti-driving while the drunk campaign is having a smashing success in raising awareness amongst teens. We salute their efforts and offer our help, by informing our clients about the awful consequences DUI may have.
- THINK is calling on friends to look out for each other and don’t let someone drive if that certain ‘someone’ is under alcohol influence. THINK really gave this some thought and so did we. Raising awareness over the dangers of DUI is crucial, especially what concerns the young generation.
- ‘Don’t risk it’ also has some nice planning ahead tips for those who want to avoid getting behind the wheel while not quite sober. We think they have some pretty interesting ideas that worth getting checked out.
- ‘Drive Safe SD’ gets a little bit more real. Their ‘Don’t mess with death’ campaign sheds some light on the situations in which people lost their lives in accidents caused by alcohol consumption. We share their point of view, as the dangers of DUI can sometimes be really inconceivable.
Bottom line, it would be best that you keep yourself and your friends safe if you’re planning to go out and drink a few beers. Here, at Aall In Limo & Party Bus, we offer the best solution around to go out, party hard and get back home safe and sound. We are much cheaper than a DUI conviction too! So, choose to remain safe - don’t drink and drive!